WHAT ARE ESSENTIAL OILS?
- Essential oils are the "life blood" of a plant.
- They are distilled form seeds, bark, stems, shrubs, bushes, roots, flowers, fruit, rinds, resins and herbs.
- Pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils are potent with the ability to destroy certain microbes.
- Oils are typically extracted through steam distillation ensuring all the health-giving constituents of the oil remain intact.
- Essential oil constituents are lipophilic (“fat-loving,” or fat-soluble). This suggests that essential oils mix well with oils, and poorly with water.
- A brand you can trust will disclose where their seeds/farms are located and how they process, distill and test their oils.
HOW DO YOU USE ESSENTIAL OILS?
- There are 3 main ways to use your oils:
1. Aromatically: use your oils in a cold water, ultrasonic, high-quality diffuser for inhalation benefits
2. Topically: apply oils to your skin (either neat or mixed with a high quality vegetable oil).
3. Internally: add oils that are safe for ingestion into your water/drinks, food/recipes or make your own supplement caps.
HOW DO ESSENTIAL OILS WORK?
- Essential oils have very, very small molecules. There are approximately 40 million trillion molecules in one drop of essential oil. They are so small, that they enter your body through the skin and go EVERYWHERE in your body.
- In 22 seconds - the molecules of oil can reach your brain
- In 2 minutes - the molecules of oil can be found in your blood stream
- In 20 minutes - the molecules of oils will effect every cell of your body
- And just as quickly as they enter your body, they are also easily metabolized out within aprpoximately 4 hours. Note that many chemicals in our skin care, beauty, cleaning products will not metabolize out of our system and cause health issues.
BIOLOGICALLY HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS:
- When you inhale oils the odor molecules travel up the nose to the olfactory membranes, electronic impulses are then sent to the olfactory bulb in the brain. The olfactory bulb is part of the limbic system, a complex system of nerves and networks in the brain that control instinct, mood, basic emotions and more. These systems process emotion (the amygdala) and associative learning (the hippocampus). Therefore using essential oils can have profound physiological and psychological effects.
- Essential oils support your bodily systems including your skeletal, muscular, circulatory, lymphatic, endocrine, respiratory and immune systems. These systems control your hormones, emotions, brain health, stress, sleep, energy and more.
- Staying above the wellness line means you are living the best, healthiest life you can.
- Using essential oils in your daily life supports you on your journey for health and wellness.
- Just as you eat healthy daily, work out, meditate - Essential oils are a great addition to your daily wellness practice.